Understanding Data Discovery and its Role in GDPR Compliance
In today’s data-driven world, ensuring data privacy and complying with legal regulations is paramount for any organization. Data Protection Officers (DPOs) and legal counsel are tasked with the arduous responsibility of navigating datasilos, processing activities, and IT infrastructure while ensuring compliance with a myriad of legal regulations. Kertos, a state-of-the-art data privacy platform, is designed to revolutionize the way you manage your data protection program and ensure compliance with legal requirements.
The Legal Imperative
Compliance with data protection laws such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) is not just a moral obligation but a legal necessity. These laws require organizations to have a comprehensive understanding of where their data is stored, how it is processed, and who has access to it. Failure to comply with these regulations can result in hefty fines, legal actions, and irreparable damage to an organization’s reputation.
The Essentiality of Tool & Data Discovery
Tool & Data Discovery is a critical component of meeting legal requirements. It involves identifying all the tools and data sources within an organization and mapping them to the relevant legal requirements. This process is indispensable for several reasons:
- Identifying Data Processing Activities: Understanding where data is stored, how it is processed, and who has access to it is essential for complying with legal requirements.
- Mapping Data to Legal Requirements: Once data processing activities are identified, they need to be mapped to the relevant legal requirements to ensure compliance.
- Risk Mitigation: Identifying potential risks and implementing measures to mitigate them is essential to prevent data breaches and ensure compliance.
Guidance and Tips for Discovering Tools & Data
While Kertos offers a comprehensive and automated solution for Tool & Data Discovery, organizations can also undertake this process manually. Here are some guidance and tips for discovering tools and data:
- Conduct a Data Inventory: Start by conducting a comprehensive inventory of all the data stored within your organization. This includes not only structured data stored in databases but also unstructured data stored in files, emails, and other documents. (The easiest way is to create a data map that outlines where all types of data are stored across your organization)
- Identify Data Processing Activities: Once you have a comprehensive inventory of your data, identify all the data processing activities within your organization. This includes not only the collection and storage of data but also its processing, sharing, and disposal.
- Map Data to Legal Requirements: After identifying all data processing activities, map them to the relevant legal requirements. This involves identifying the legal basis for each data processing activity and ensuring compliance with the applicable laws.
- Implement Risk Mitigation Measures: Identify potential risks associated with each data processing activity and implement measures to mitigate them. This includes implementing technical and organizational measures to ensure the security of the data.
- Continuous Monitoring and Reporting: Implement a continuous monitoring and reporting process to ensure ongoing compliance with legal requirements. This includes regularly reviewing and updating your data inventory, data processing activities, and risk mitigation measures.
Tool & Data Discovery is crucial for meeting legal requirements and ensuring data privacy. While it is possible to undertake this process manually, Kertos offers a comprehensive and automated solution that ensures compliance without compromise. By leveraging the power of Tool & Data Discovery with Kertos, organizations can ensure compliance with legal requirements, mitigate risks, and protect their reputation. Discover more about Kertos Tool & Data Discovery feature.